Home security is one of our greatest concerns, especially when you have faced break-ins a couple of times. Nowhere is really safe, and you could feel that the moment you step out of your house. To protect your family members, personal belongings and valuable materials, you definitely want a foolproof method, and that’s when it hits you. What could be better than fitting digital door locks on your entrance door?
There was a time when I lost my keys very often and had to give unnecessary calls to locksmiths to open my doors. Once I installed digital door locks, I didn’t have to worry about anything. Although mine needed fingerprint access, there are plenty of other types out there. This article will hopefully provide you a better insight on the various kinds of digital door locks available and how you can use them to get your desired level of security.
Types Of Door Locks
Door locks are used everywhere, from various industries to offices, hotels, airports, etc. Although digital keypad door locks don’t come very cheap, the security measures they provide is worth the cost. For top security, verification and confirmation methods must be strong. Based on your budget and the level of security you’re looking for, you should pick a digital door lock.
There are various kinds of door locks. As I mentioned before, there are locks which require fingerprint access, while there are others which require certain codes. The codes could be PINs or passwords. Without entering the correct code you can’t enter your home. The code can be changed whenever needed. Some keypad locks require ID cards or facial recognition patterns . For these locks no special code is needed.
In fact, these are used in hotels and airports as they are incredibly secure, flexible, convenient and may even be connected to the internet. However, these could be really expensive and are not feasible in places where people come in and out all the time, such as residential buildings. Budget concerned people would prefer traditional keypad locks instead. Some locks may come with two-step verification processes.
So you might have to add a code and also have the door key to unlock the door. Keypad locks may be installed on door handles or door levers, so once the door opens and you get in the room, the door will automatically get locked again. Some digital door locks can open simply to a remote control command. Some locks require RFID (radio frequency identification) access.
Benefits Of Digital Door Locks
Let’s state the obvious first. Digital door locks are definitely the better way for security to your home and office as you are able to limit the number of people going in and out of the building, which decreases chances of vandalism or robbery. But that’s not it. There are other reasons why people are now obsessed with digital door locks.
- Their operation and setup is very straightforward. It doesn’t take too long. No extra hardware is required.
- They usually last for a long time and don’t usually undergo any technical issues. Even if they do, you can call a locksmith to fix them.
- With the keypad lock you can give limited access to only a select number of people, who you can trust. The card or fingerprint which is used for access can’t be replicated.
- No more wasting time behind looking for keys or double checking doors to see if they’re properly locked. The door automatically gets locked and unlocks automatically as soon as you provide your credentials.
- In case there’s a power failure, you’d think that there’s no way in or out. Don’t worry. Digital door locks always have battery backup power supply in case the electricity’s down. It will also notify you with an alarm if the battery needs to be replaced.
- You’ll also get an alarm in case an intruder- someone whose access is not recognized- is trying to get through the door. In general, seeing such advanced security measures would intimidate the intruder anyways. Some high end locks can also notify you whether someone is trying to break the lock or enter the house.
- There are wifi door locks available too. This is particularly useful, as you can use the internet to track your keypad lock activity from any location. You can find out who is accessing through the door, and if someone is trying to break in. At that moment you could also change the code combination to tighten security.
If you forget the code then you can use the internet to set up a new code. There could be other alternative options such as a physical key for the keypad lock. Furthermore, you could keep security only through certain time intervals. So for example, you could allow access throughout the whole day, and restrict access throughout night time.
- Door locks come in stylish colors and may make the appearance of your door, gate, car entrance or refrigerator look more aesthetically pleasing. Keypad safe locks are also available, which means you can store all your precious jewellery and cash in the safe and lock with complete assurance of utmost security.
- Keypad locks are easier for elderly people and those who are disabled or struggle with keys.
- There are some keypad locks that come with tiny surveillance cameras which you can use to see who is at the door.
Your local certified locksmith can tell you what kind of digital door lock would best suit your house, so you should definitely seek a consultation with them.
The Cons Of Digital Door Locks
There are a few issues regarding digital door locks, which you should be aware about before heading on to buy a digital door lock. For example, if your keypad lock is connected to your smartphone via internet, and if your smartphone is damaged, lost or stolen, you would be unable to track the activity through your keypad lock. What’s worse is that, if your phone gets hacked somehow, the hacker may get access to your keypad lock security system and this could lead to further security troubles. If any virus or malware infects your phone, again you lose access to your keypad lock as well. It’s better to consider all scenarios before you connect your keypad lock to the internet.
If the power is out, and battery supply is also gone, you won’t be able to access through the door. If your keypad lock requires card access and if you lose card, getting another one would be a hassle. Often times you may forget the code for door access, retrieving the code could be troublesome. If your keypad lock contains facial recognition software, it may not be able to recognize you if you have altered your facial features temporarily (such as lip fillers) or permanently (such as tattoos, piercings or surgery). Lastly, they’re quite expensive. Cheaper ones may not be sturdy or well-built, so they can be broken easily by intruders.
Yet, people want digital door locks simply because their benefits far outweigh the cons, so even at a steep price, people are willing to have better home security services. Gone are the days of traditional keys and locks. In today’s world of technology and innovation, digital door locks have proven to be worth every penny. They can provide home and office security while you can chill and relax outside. With the ongoing advancements, you can hope for better and smarter door locks very soon. Your home will remain intruder-free and you and your dog can peacefully sleep at night!