When we want to go fishing, we usually think of fishing on kayaks. Kayaks are also amazing when it comes to water sports and transport systems. Inflatable fishing kayaks are a kind of boat that you can actually blow air into and still sit straight without bursting it. Inflatable kayaks come in many sizes, lengths, colors, weights, and designs.
There are several advantages to using an inflatable kayak. First, it is inflatable; so, you can literally take it to any corner of the world, fish wherever you want, however you want! It also makes for a perfect gift for adventurous individuals.
Now let’s delve into why inflatable kayaks are so awesome and what you should consider before buying one.
Why Inflatable Fishing Kayaks Are Amazing
Inflatable kayaks are very lightweight and easy to store. You can even store your kayak at the back of your car or in an airplane, and use it in camping trips. If you are on a bigger boat, you can take your inflatable kayak out and use it to explore places where the boat cannot go. Inflatable kayaks are also environmentally friendly and they do not need much maintenance. If you want more speed, then you can buy inflatable fishing kayaks that have space where you can mount a motor.
These kayaks also come in many varieties with every possible fishing accessory you can think of. You can also get kayaks that can accommodate fishing chairs and maybe another person. Fishing kayaks are your low-cost solutions to that perfect fishing trip you have always wanted. Easy paddling and the ability to tolerate all kinds of waters make it highly advantageous. Most inflatable fishing kayaks are made of either PVC, Hypalon or nitrylon. These are extremely resilient materials; i.e., they are resistant to UV light, chemicals, extreme weather conditions and even the scratches of your pet’s paws.
These kayaks have three air chambers that allow them to stay afloat. For example, if one of the chambers end up leaking, the other chambers will still work to prevent the kayak from sinking. Any leak can be easily patched up.
Things to Consider When Getting an Inflatable Kayak
Even though inflatable fishing kayaks sound perfect (which they actually are) and better than canoes, you should still consider a few factors before buying one. You should do this so you are able to find an inflatable fishing kayak that is perfectly tailored to your needs. Some models are better for fishing purposes while some are more suited for sports tournaments, so your pick should be based on your budget and needs.
- Traditional kayaks are usually the sit-in type. There are also some sit-on-top inflatable fishing kayaks. It’s totally up to you to decide which one you want. The sit-on-top version is easier for fishing purposes because you get to see your surroundings much better than the sit-in type. You can also try a stand up fishing kayak if you are more comfortable in a standing position.
- Do you want to take your spouse to a romantic kayak getaway trip? Will you bring your pet with you? If so, then tandem inflatable kayaks are for you. Solo inflatable kayaks are perfect if you are going on a fishing trip alone. Some inflatable kayaks can be interconverted from three-person to solo type.
- Usually, inflatable kayaks are wider than traditional kayaks, so the chances of flipping and tripping over are low. When fishing, you will obviously want your kayak to stay still as much as possible. Since inflatable kayaks are wider, they are better suited for any type of fishing.
- A rule among kayakers is that the shorter the kayak, the easier it is to control. Shorter kayaks also respond quicker, but longer kayaks are faster and easier to paddle. So, considering the kayak length according to your needs is always important. If you want an inflatable kayak specifically for fishing, you should pick a kayak which is short enough for easy control and is easier to paddle.
- Inflatable kayaks usually use a slightly different paddle length than the traditional kayaks. You’ll need to consider how long the paddle is, how wide the kayak is, and the type and style of paddling that you will do. The paddle length for inflatable kayaks generally range from 220 cm to 240 cm. Some kayak models do come with paddles, but if those don’t suit you, opt for a paddle length that’s comfortable for you.
- Also, the weight of the inflatable kayak and its weight capacity are two crucial factors to consider if you want to have a safe kayak fishing experience. You should pick one that is light and easy to use, but most importantly, you must check to see that your preferred kayak is able to bear your whole weight as well as the fishing equipment and other accessories. This will be necessary especially when you will go deep sea fishing.
- Length matters, depending on the type of activity you’ll be doing and your body height. For example, you will want a longer kayak if you have longer legs. Bear in mind that longer kayaks are faster and better suited for seas and lakes. But for deep sea fishing, you should aim to get a longer one. For rivers and whitewaters, shorter kayaks are suitable.
- Since you will spend uncountable hours on your kayak for fishing and for other purposes, you obviously need to think of comfort. You want to have the freedom to stand, sit, relax and do whatever you want on your kayak without feeling cramped up in a small space. When you buy an inflatable kayak, check the seating and legroom. These are the two most important things that will determine your comfort.
- There are some fishing accessories that you should look for if you want to use your inflatable kayak for fishing. Usually, these kayaks do not come with fishing equipment and you’ll need to buy them separately. Look for fishing seats, motors, rod and cup holders, dry bags, D-rings and carbo boxes for your fishing trip.
- Lastly, you should consider the price. Your budget for a kayak will depend on how you will be using it. So think this through properly. Inflatable kayaks are relatively more affordable than traditional kayaks.
Taking these factors into consideration, you can easily get yourself an inflatable kayak. I still remember when I got my very first inflatable kayak. At that time, I was at a very low point in my life and I needed to escape from all the worries that came with a tiring urban lifestyle. One day, I just randomly decided to take a kayak fishing trip as an opportunity to spend some time with my wife and my dog. It literally worked like therapy for me (yes, kayak therapy is a real thing!). Since then, I have been making kayak fishing trips to various lakes and rivers whenever I can. Just last week I took my inflatable kayak for an adventurous trip in Hawaii. You can do so much more with your inflatable kayak. Just use one and you’ll realize what I am talking about. Use it to get to that perfect getaway you always wanted, or that solo self-discovery journeys you hoped to experience some day. Use your inflatable kayak to conquer the deep sea challenges and score fish like never before.